Monday, December 15, 2008

Unwinding VWO Shorts for Dec.

I noted in a previous post that emerging markets may be "decoupling" from the rest of the world. Maybe the market is starting to agree. VWO has climbed a bit since I last refreshed my short calls on November 24. I had sold Dec calls at 25, and now VWO is trading perilously close to that price. I'm buying them back to close out the position, as I don't want to risk the price closing above expiration when the options expire this weekend. It looks like I'll take a slight loss, but I won't know until the transaction confirms come in tomorrow.

It's a good thing my other shorts are working out fine. Diversification is still a good thing, especially in an age of decoupling.

Nota bene: Anthony J. Alfidi is still short calls on SPY, IWM, and EFA at this time.