Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Emerging Markets Soon to be Even Cheaper

I recently wrote about my excitement that emerging markets have fallen far from their all-time highs. There's more to come if you're a bargain hunter like me:

The international financial crisis is set to sharply slow growth in emerging and developing economies next year, ending a five-year global commodity price boom, the World Bank said on Tuesday.
(snip)

"Export opportunities for developing countries will fade rapidly because of the recession in high-income countries and because export credits are drying up and export insurance has become more expensive," the report said.


I always wonder why some business journalists paint developing economies as commodity exporters and little else. South Korea is one of the world's leading makers of cargo ships and computer chips (and their economy is sinking, BTW, which is why they've announced their own huge fiscal stimulus).

Emerging markets (which to me means VWO) may very well be the next thing I go long, but not just yet.

Nota bene: Anthony J. Alfidi is hanging on to his short calls on VWO for the forseeable future.