Thursday, January 21, 2010

Updates to the Alpha-D for Jan. 2010

A few of my option positions expired unexercised. I always like it when that happens because I keep the cash I received when I opened the positions.

Here are the new positions I've opened:

Sold covered calls on FXI and GDX, expiring Feb 10.

Sold cash-covered puts on FXI and GDX, expiring Feb 10.

Sold cash-covered puts on TDW at 45, expiring Feb .10. I wouldn't mind being forced to go long Tidewater as I suspect its fair value is much higher than $45.

I haven't sold any FXI this month even though I'm becoming increasingly concerned about both the sustainability of China's growth and the veracity of their published statistics. I'm willing to let FXI keep riding for a month, but I'm going to take a serious look again in February about taking some money off the table.

I am hanging a big chunk of money on GDX (and some on ANV) on the likelihood that financial instability will return.