Monday, August 24, 2009

Updating The Alpha-D For Aug. '09

Some of my short option positions expired unexercised last Friday, so I did alright by hanging onto those premiums. I have renewed my option positions as follows:

FXI and GDX: short straddles that expire Sept. 2009.

IAU: short put that expires Sept. 2009. This netted me almost nothing as the bid collapsed just as I entered the trade!

ANV: short put that expires Mar. 2010. This is a new position based on my assessment that ANV is a junior miner that's going places. I remain long ANV itself.

For the first month in quite some time I have no position at all in IWM. I could not find an OTM call that would have made it worth my while to go short. I am not going long the ETF itself until we hit the next leg down in this W-shaped depression.

My previously set option positions in SPY, EFA, and VWO will expire next month. They're OTM so far . . . I like that.