Monday, February 03, 2014

Painted Pony Petroleum . . . Has Paintings Of Ponies

Painted Pony Petroleum (PDPYF / PPY.V / PPY.TO) is a natural gas producer in western Canada.  That country has low political risk and supports new LNG infrastructure for Asian exports.  It's nice that the CEO is a geologist with lots of exploration experience.  The only relevant result for me is whether this company can produce at a profit.

They have been in production for some time.  I would prefer to evaluate their most recent financial statements and NI statements of reserves but I don't see very many year 2013 documents on their investor relations page at this time.  I searched SEC's EDGAR and I found no 10-Q or 10-K financial statements, so I went to SEDAR to find their recent information.  Their interim financial statement for November 12, 2013 shows comprehensive net losses for much of 2013 and 2012.  You know something . . . I'll stop right there.

I'm not going to invest in a company that shows such persistent losses.  I only have so much time in the day to analyze market action, corporate results, and general business ideas.  I won't waste one more second trying to understand how a company in production can keep losing money in a region primed for export with natural gas prices rising.  They do have pictures of painted ponies on their website.  I hope their shareholders like those ponies.

Full disclosure:  No position in Painted Pony Petroleum at this time.