Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Housing Crash Redux 2009

This is it. No, not Michael Jackson's posthumous album. I mean the beginning of the second part of the housing bailout:

Problems at the Federal Housing Administration, which guarantees mortgages with low down payments, are becoming so acute that some experts warn the agency might need a federal bailout.


That says it all. I don't think I have to quote any more from the NYT for you to get the picture. I'm so glad I went on record last year with my opposition to the housing bailout. I knew that if America started down that path it would spell the end of our status as a great power. A second mortgage bailout will cement our national decline and ensure that any hope of reversing it will be monumentally difficult within the remaining lifetime of Generation X.

I'm gradually building cash that I can use after the market tanks to buy equities. I don't think I'll have to wait very long for another real estate-related implosion to bring that on. If both FDIC and FHA need simultaneous bailouts . . . hello 1932 all over again.